A dose of a UAEian

I'm short, love reading and I'm very curious...quiet & talkative when I'm around people I'm used to. Love massages, relaxation, spas, name it! This blog is mainly to note down anything that is significant to me

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Ramadhan Kareem

This is one of my earliest memories, that comes back to me every Ramadhan. It's nothing religious, only connected to a religious month. I'm going back into time to relate what I always remember:

I rested my head against the window pane, forehead on cold glass looking out through the fog at the crowd, whose laughter reached me through the walls. A group of boys. Huddled. Around a bonfire on a chilly night. I watched from above as my brother walked out of the house, cross the street and join them. How enjoyable, I thought, and lucky. To be free... to be a boy. I crouched down, my mind not mine as I stared out into the fire. At the unfairness of it all. If only I were a boy...
P.s. No, I don't wish that anymore...

I eventually found out that Ramadhan is more than a 'guys staying-up-late night'! Ramadhan is much more meaningful than the outings, the shopping, the T.v serials and the food.

Besides, with the current weather, my envious memory can take a back seat for now.

May Allah accept all our good deeds and our fasting Insha'Allah this holy month of Ramadhan. I hope most of you take good advantage of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment